Summertime & Watermelon!
Those two things just go together like Ren & Stimpy. If you are anything like me, you buy a countless number of watermelons each season at the farmers market. I just can’t get enough. This season the watermelons have been so sweet and have had such a beautiful color of red.
Lately, my family has gotten a bit board of my watermelon fondness. So, I’ve decided to put a little twist on my beloved summertime fruit and make a watermelon salad. It’s a perfect combination of salty and sweet, and the basil adds that perfect amount of freshness.
Do you want to know my secret for picking the perfect watermelon?
1. It must feel heavy for it’s size, yet sounds hollow. That means it’s super juicy
2. I like to pick one that is a dark green, the darker the better.
3. Pick one that has a large yellow area. This yellow area is developed while it is ripening on the ground. Ensures the watermelon has not been picked too early.
- 5 cups of cubed watermelon, well chilled
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup loosely paced fresh basil, cut in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Gently toss the balsamic vinegar along with the feta, watermelon cubes, and basil in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately.
Until Next Time…