I love Sweet Potatoes, Handsome…not so much. On my last trip to Costco I ended up buying one of their massive bags of sweet potatoes. So, in my effort to get them all cooked before they go bad and sprout a small forrest, I knew I had to come up with a dish Handsome would eat.
So here’s what I did to make this Sweet Potato Bake…
I peeled, cut, and chopped, the sweet potatoes. Tossed them with olive oil and placed them on a baking sheet to roast in the oven.
While the potatoes were roasting, I chopped and fried a half pound of bacon until crisp and placed on a paper towel to drain off the excess fat. I then added a chopped onion to the bacon drippings and cooked until slightly brown. Then, I added some flour, milk and seasonings to make a roux.
I then placed half of the roasted sweet potatoes into a 11×7 baking dish and topped that with half of the bacon and the crumbled blue cheese, then I topped it all with half of the sauce mixture. I then started another layer with the sweet potatoes, bacon, and onion sauce mixture. Placed it in the oven until it became all warm and bubbly.
And then, I served my Handsome up a plate of the yummy ingredients. And he LOVED it!
- 3 Medium Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 Onion, chopped
- ½ lb Bacon, chopped
- ¾ Cup Blue Cheese Chunks
- Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Milk
- Cooking Spray
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, coat sweet potato chunks with enough olive oil to lightly coat all sides. Place in a single layer on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender and slightly golden.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan, fry chopped bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan to a paper towel lined dish.
- Add chopped onion to the frying pan with bacon drippings and cooking until slightly golden brown.
- Make a roux by adding flour to the cook onions over medium heat. Let the flour cook for about 2 minutes to remove the flour taste and the ingredients become a paste. Add milk to the paste, and then add the Nutmeg, Salt, and Black Pepper. The mixture will begin to thicken. Turn burner to low and continue to stir.
- Spray a medium size baking dish with cooking spray. Place ½ of the roasted sweet potatoes in the baking dish. Top potatoes with ½ of the bacon and all of the Blue Cheese then top with ½ of the onion sauce mixture. Place the remaining sweet potatoes on top to form another layer, then continue with the bacon and the remaining sauce mixture.
- Place baking dish in the oven for 15 minutes.