I remember when I was younger, when my family went out for dinner my Mom would always order deep fried zucchini. Every restaurant had it on their menu back then, I think it was a thing. I remember fighting with my brother over the last, slightly spicy, crunchy fried zucchini round, each and every time. The outside was crispy fried perfection and the zucchini was tender inside, there was the perfect amount of spice. They were always served with a creamy ranch dressing. Most of the time, my brother and I ate so many we would end up taking our dinner home.
I haven’t thought about deep fried zucchini in many years until recently. I went out to eat with my girl’s and the restaurant had fried zucchini on the menu.
I had to order it!
My girl’s loved it. How could they not? Anything fried is good, right? And it is a vegetable, after all. This time, I let my girl’s split the last one.
Cut the zucchini into thin rounds.
- 1½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cup flour
- ¾ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- In a large shallow bowl, beat eggs and add a pinch of salt, combine.
- In a separate large shallow bowl mix the flour with the remaining salt.
- In another separate bowl add the Panko, Parmesan, pepper, and cayenne, stir together to combine.
- Working with about 6 rounds at a time, dredge into the flour mixture, then into the eggs, and finally into the Panko mixture.
- With tongs drop about 6 rounds in the oil at a time. Fry until both sides of the zucchini are golden brown. Place cooked rounds on to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Serve immediately with a side of ranch dressing.
Enjoy these tasty fried zucchini rounds!