Have you ever had zebra popcorn?
For the popcorn lover it is the ultimate popcorn. Zebra popcorn is caramel popcorn that is drizzled with white and semi-sweet chocolate. It’s the perfect snack for binge watching your favorite show or to serve at game night with your friends.
It’s very addicting! I was buying it at the grocery store more times than I’d like to admit. So I’ve come up with a homemade version that tastes just like the package stuff, my family says it better!
For movie night I make a cone shape out of parchment paper for everyone and let each person fill their own cone.
It’s a great feeling knowing you are serving something to your family that is delicious and you can actually name all the ingredients.
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup un-popped corn kernels
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 225 degrees. Place rack in the middle position.
- In a large heavy bottom pot add the vegetable oil and a few corn kernels. Place burner on medium high heat. Once the first corn kernel has popped careful add the remaining corn kernels. Gently shake the pan around on the burner to avoid burning any kernels. Take the pan off the heat once the sound of the kernels popping slows way down. Transfer the popcorn (making sure there are no un-popped kernels) to a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and place in the heated oven to keep warm.
- In a saucepan add corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and salt over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and the baking soda. The mixture with turn foamy as you stir, continue to stir until mixture becomes thickened.
- Place warm popcorn into a large bowl. Working quickly pour the sugar mixture over the popcorn making sure all popcorn is coated, then return the popcorn back onto the heated lined baking pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let caramel corn cool.
- Place white and semi-sweet chocolate into microwave safe separate bowls. Microwave at 30 second intervals stirring in between until both chocolates are completely melted.
- Drizzle evenly over the caramel popcorn. Let chocolate dry completely prior to breaking up the popcorn into smaller pieces.
Until next Time…