How is it that bananas can be a tiny bit green when you buy them and within a matter of a day become over ripe with dark spots? The other day I had a bunch of almost too green to eat bananas and the next time I looked at them they were overripe?
That’s exactly where banana bread comes in. It’s the perfect way to get those bananas eaten that normally my family would not touch. I hate seeing food go to waste so I either make this delicious breakfast treat or I freeze the skinned bananas for smoothies.
This time I added heavenly delicious chocolate chips to my batter and oh what a delight it was! I don’t know why I haven’t done that sooner. The semi-sweet chocolate chips added the perfect amount of sweetness.
I line my loaf pan with parchment paper so it is easy to remove from the loaf pan.
I know it’s tempting to slice the banana bread before it’s completely cool, but don’t do it! Have patients and then enjoy!
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups mashed over ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour (spooned in to measuring cup and leveled off)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using a hand held or stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Mix in the eggs one at a time making sure the first egg is totally incorporated before add the second egg. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla and the mashed bananas.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients just until fully combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Tent with foil to prevent over browning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the pan.