It’s avacado season here in Southern California!
And I’m taking advantage of it and making it my mission to eat as many avocados as I can.
I’ve decided to combine my favorite snack, hummus with my favorite fruit (more specifically a berry), avocado! It is truly a match made in heaven. The creaminess of the 2 blended together make the perfect good for you snack.
Avocados are very interesting. Did you know they have more potassuim in them than a banana? They are also one of the few high protein fruits. And last but not least, you can swap avocados for butter in your baked goods recipes.
Back to the avocado hummus…It also makes the perfect party dip. Serve it with veggies or my personal favorite warm pita chips.
No need to buy pre-cut, overly salted pita chips.
They are so easy to make, here’s how:
- Pita bread, sliced into 8 wedges
- Brush wedges front and back with oilve oil
- Place wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle with salt, as much or as little as you want
- Place into a preheated 400 degree oven until golden brown about 12 – 15 minutes
Easy peasy you’ve got warm pita chips!
Now for the star of the season….
- 15 oz can chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, well drained and all skins removed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + more to garnish
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Water - if needed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium size ripe avocados, cored and peeled
- In a food processor combine chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and avocados. Process until completely smooth.
- If needed, add 2 teaspoons of water at a time to make the mixture the consistency you like.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, add more lemon, salt, or pepper if needed
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and cilantro to garnish.
- *Serve with pita chips, vegetables, or crackers
What is your favorite go to healthy snack?